I had the pleasure of speaking about scenario-based learning with Alexander Salas, Chapter President of ATDCFL (Central Florida) for his “Off the Cuff” interview series. Alex is also the Chief of Awesomeness for eLearning Launch and on Twitter as @StyleLearn. It’s always fun to hang out with Alex (especially since we missed seeing each other at LSCon this year).
Watch the interview
This is an unscripted, casual conversation with a lot of back and forth for questions and answers.
Listen to the interview
What we discussed
- What is scenario-based learning?
- Different types of scenarios
- Using scenarios to improve skills quickly
- Ruth Clark’s Scenario-Based eLearning book
- Engaging learners (not just “having fun”)
- Keeping stories relevant and short so they don’t feel like the intro on a recipe blog
- Metaphors in stories
- Rance Green’s Instructional Story Design book
- Scenario-based learning isn’t the solution for everything
- Video games and stories
- 4 Cs for scenarios
- Feedback in scenarios
- How to get started using scenarios for learning
More Off the Cuff
Alex has had some amazing guests in the past on this Off the Cuff series. Check out Patti Shank, Robin Sargent, David Merrill, Clark Quinn, Karl Kapp, and others in past episodes.
More Scenario-based learning
Check out the over 50 posts I have written on scenario-based learning.