Jacqueline Hutchinson of The Lounge podcast and I had a lovely conversation on scenario-based learning. She had some great questions about how to use scenarios and storytelling in learning experiences that led to a really fun chat. We talked about some “horror stories” and scenarios gone wrong, using scenarios to make compliance training not sleep-inducing, and options besides branching scenarios for incorporating storytelling.
Listen to our conversation on scenario-based learning on her site or follow the links to listen on other platforms. The episode is about 45 minutes long.
As a side note, since Jac and I are both tea drinkers, I mentioned that I was drinking an iced lemon basil oolong from my local tea shop while we recorded.
What we talked about
- What is a scenario
- When are scenarios useful
- Branching scenarios versus simple one question scenarios
- Getting started with a simple scenario
- Process for designing a scenario
- How to determine when to use a scenario
- Working with SMEs (Subject Matter Experts)
- How long does it take to design different scenarios
- Manage the complexity of the scenario