One of the recurring themes on this blog is instructional design careers. These posts are written from my own experiences both as a job seeker and employee and as a former manager hiring instructional designers.
My original series on instructional design careers:
- What Does an Instructional Designer Do?
- Getting Into Instructional Design
- Instructional Design Skills
- Technology Skills
- Professional Organizations and Career Options
- Is instructional design the right career?
- Do Instructional Designers Really Need Technology Skills?
- Two Big Technology Skills
Instructional Design Degrees, Certificates, and Certification
- Formal or Informal Masters for Instructional Designers?
- Instructional Design Degrees
- Multiple Paths to Instructional Design Careers
- Instructional Design Training Programs
- Instructional Design Certificate or Masters Degree
- Overqualified Instructional Designers?
- ID Badges: My Experience with TIfPI’s Certification
Consulting, Freelancing, and Remote Work
- How Freelance Clients Find Me
- Blogging to Build your Business
- Podcast Interview on Freelancing and Consulting
- Tools that Make Consulting Easier
- Consulting Isn’t My Backup Plan
- 6 Tips for Staying Productive While Working Remotely
- My Typical Week as a Consultant
- Telecommute Instructional Design Jobs
- Getting Started as a Freelance Instructional Designer
- Tips for Starting to Freelance
- Freelance Instructional Design: More Tips from the Trenches
Teaching to Instructional Design
- Transitioning from Teaching to Instructional Design (presentation recording)
- Teacher to Instructional Designer: Interview Questions
- Adapting Resumes from Teaching to Instructional Design
Salary, Experience, and Other Topics
- Instructional Design Hourly Rates and Salary
- Instructional Design Experience Before Your First Job
- Questions about Instructional Design Careers
- Demand for Instructional Designers
- Do You Need a Mentor or a Network?
- Finding a Good Fit in Instructional Design
If you enjoyed what you’re finding here, consider a free subscription so you can receive automatic updates. Don’t worry, I hate spam as much as you do, so I’ll never share your email address with anyone.
Enroll in the eLearning Freelancer Bootcamp by 4/10
I’m offering an eLearning Freelancer Bootcamp with Robin Sargent and Nicole Papiaoannou. This is an 8-week program with a live virtual session each week plus resources and activities to help you grow your business. The bootcamp is all about the business side of freelancing and consulting. Enrollment closes on 4/10/2020, and the bootcamp launches on 4/15/2020. Enroll now to be part of the first cohort.