One of the recurring themes on this blog is instructional design careers. These posts are written from my own experiences both as a job seeker and employee and as a former manager hiring instructional designers.
My original series on instructional design careers:
- What Does an Instructional Designer Do?
- Getting Into Instructional Design
- Instructional Design Skills
- Technology Skills
- Professional Organizations and Career Options
- Is instructional design the right career?
- Do Instructional Designers Really Need Technology Skills?
- Two Big Technology Skills
Instructional Design Degrees, Certificates, and Certification
- Formal or Informal Masters for Instructional Designers?
- Instructional Design Degrees
- Multiple Paths to Instructional Design Careers
- Instructional Design Training Programs
- Instructional Design Certificate or Masters Degree
- Overqualified Instructional Designers?
- ID Badges: My Experience with TIfPI’s Certification
Consulting, Freelancing, and Remote Work
- How Freelance Clients Find Me
- Security for Freelancers and Consultants
- Freelance Income Projection: Free Template
- Blogging to Build your Business
- Podcast Interview on Freelancing and Consulting
- Tools that Make Consulting Easier
- Consulting Isn’t My Backup Plan
- 6 Tips for Staying Productive While Working Remotely
- My Typical Week as a Consultant
- Telecommute Instructional Design Jobs
- Getting Started as a Freelance Instructional Designer
- Tips for Starting to Freelance
- Freelance Instructional Design: More Tips from the Trenches
Teaching to Instructional Design
- Transitioning from Teaching to Instructional Design (presentation recording)
- Teacher to Instructional Designer: Interview Questions
- Adapting Resumes from Teaching to Instructional Design
Salary, Experience, and Other Topics
- Instructional Design Hourly Rates and Salary
- Instructional Design Experience Before Your First Job
- Questions about Instructional Design Careers
- Demand for Instructional Designers
- Do You Need a Mentor or a Network?
- Finding a Good Fit in Instructional Design
If you enjoyed what you’re finding here, consider a free subscription so you can receive automatic updates. Don’t worry, I hate spam as much as you do, so I’ll never share your email address with anyone.
eLearning Freelancer Bootcamp
Interested in becoming an elearning freelancer? The eLearning Freelancer Bootcamp is all about the business side of freelancing and consulting, specifically geared for instructional designers and elearning developers. This program helps you grow your business through live weekly workshops, recorded videos, resources, templates, and activities to build skills and get organized. Enrollment includes an online community for ongoing support.
Enroll in the bootcamp to get started right away!